User 19087 schrieb am 16.01.19 um 21:56:
I'm having trouble scaling down symbols and emojis. For a while I assumed these don't scale with the current font size. Then I scoured the mailing list and realized that while scaling down seems broken, scaling up works as expected:
\tx (or \tfx, \bfx etc.) and \txx are ignored in some cases unlike the other size switches (\tfa etc.).

When you need a switch for a smaller size which doesn’t has these limitations you can just create them:

\definefontsize [m]
\definefontsize [n]

\setupbodyfontenvironment
  [default]
  [m=0.8,
   n=0.6]

\usesymbols[mvs]

\setupsymbolset[martinvogel 2]

%\showallmakeup

\starttext
% Progressively larger as expected.
\symbol[ShortForty]
{\tfa\symbol[ShortForty]}
{\tfb\symbol[ShortForty]}
{\tfc\symbol[ShortForty]}
{\tfd\symbol[ShortForty]}

% Unexpectedly all the same size.
\symbol[ShortForty]
{\tfx\symbol[ShortForty]}
{\tfxx\symbol[ShortForty]}

% This works, but why? Isn't \small just a synonym for \tfx via
% \definealternativestyle? Anyway there is no synonym for \tfxx.
\symbol[ShortForty]
{\switchtobodyfont[small]\symbol[ShortForty]}
{\small\symbol[ShortForty]}
No, \small us the same as \switchtobodyfont[small]
% This also works but is less than ideal when matching surrounding font sizes.
% Which factor should I use to match \tfxx?
\symbol[ShortForty]
\scale[factor=4]{\symbol[ShortForty]}
x = 0.8
xx = 0.6