On 2/6/2019 7:31 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
On 2/5/19 8:07 AM, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
Hola Pablo,

Hallo Jan-Ulrich,

I inserted this in the setupbackend command so that ConTeXt stops with
the unknown command \colorprofilenotfound I inserted in the else clause.

But more and more I think that ConTeXt should fail if it does not find
the color profile, because if you forget to study the log file before
sending the pdf to the print shop you can loose a lot of money.

But the scenarios in which you could loose a lot of money are many more
than you might think.

Imagine the following:

     \startbuffer
         A Greek sentence:
             χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά
     \stopbuffer
     \definefallbackfamily[mainface][rm][GFS Didoto]
         [preset=range:greek]
     \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][Latin Modern Roman]
     \definefallbackfamily[amainface][rm][GFS Didot]
         [preset=range:greek]
     \definefontfamily[amainface][rm][TeX Gyre Pagella]
     \definefallbackfamily[smainface][rm][GFS Didot]
         [preset=range:greek, force=yes]
     \definefontfamily[smainface][rm][TeX Gyre Pagella]
     \setupbodyfont[mainface]
     \starttext
     \startTEXpage[offset=2em]
         \getbuffer\\
         \amainface\getbuffer\\
         \smainface\getbuffer
     \stopTEXpage
     \stoptext

Not embedding all glyphs for the fallback font (failing to type
"force=yes") could lead to weird results. Not to mention when a font
isn’t embedded at all.

there are severwl trackers for missing characters, including highlighting them .. anyway, there's also

\enabledirectives[logs.errors]

\starttext

    test \char 999

\stoptext

that gives a summary. But turning on every possible checking option by default is not going to happen because it adds overhead to (in our cases) normal runs.

And as we use ConTeXt in a group where people have different ConTeXt
knowledge the generation should be bullet proofed.

I totally agree with that. But it mainly relies on how source documents
are written. ConTeXt cannot type the source for us.

Indeed, and if something is critital proofreading should happen. (Hyohenations can be wrong, there can be overflows, figures could to places one does not want, fonts can have bugges features and of course there can be typos)

The behaviour of ConTeXt is AFAICS the following.
If you install icc-profiles in texmf-context they get lost during the
next update of ConTeXt. But ConTeXt will not stop the complilation only
warning that there is no profile file.

ConTeXt only stops to compile if you delete a profile which was present
during installation/update or which was present during a "mtxrun
--generate" (Thanks to Mojca for this hint). Then the file is registered
and ConTeXt wants to access it, failing if it is not there.

If you install profiles in texmf-local and then do a "mtxrun --generate"
you are quite safe as long as you do not install ConTeXt from scratch.

No computer can read your mind. Or a brand-new installation cannot guess
whether you are up to some auxiliary files (name them color profiles,
fonts, or whatever you want).

I can add an optional log section for the backend but not now, maybe later this year.

If you want to compile a ConTeXt project on an other computer you have
to study the log file to see that it does not find a color profile. And
this is dangerous, because none expects this to be a problem. I think
ConTeXt should fail and stop if the profile is not there.

But checking if the file exists is a safe way to know whehter it can be
embedded in the output PDF document.

Not all missing files are problems, at least not here.

Another scenario would be attaching files to a PDF document using the
\attachment command. I have done it myself.

With some of my documents, I had to attach a variable number of extra
documents to the final PDF. The only way to secure the attachment was
\doiffileelse{file.pdf}{\attach[file.pdf]}{\ssbf\color[red]{missing
attachment}}.
in practice profiles are a mess anyway .. i might cook up a solution more tightly bound to specific images some day (but i don't need that myself right now)