On 2/19/19 2:22 PM, Gour wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:08:44 +0100 Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> [...]
>> I convert Markdown to XHTML and then I compile the XML sources with
>> ConTeXt.
>
> I've tried it and it works nicely. The possibility to have one-source-does-all
> is tempting. ;)
>
> Now I wonder if you're still behind the tool and/or whether it is still
> actively used by you?

Hi Gour,

sorry for my delayed reply.

I’m still behind the environment itself, although I realized that these
may not be relevant to everybody. I store the new commits in a private
repository.

I use the XML handling (generating the XHTML with pandoc) in ConTeXt for
almost all the documents I compile with ConTeXt. I think this is the way
to go.

My environment is only an example. You may write another one for your
own needs, you don’t have to use mine.

> Another question for both you and Aditya in regard to the point made by Mojca
> (suggesting to use Asciidoc markup) is whether you find that Pandoc's
> (extended) Markdown is semantically rich-enough to cover more complex
> documents
> or in such cases it would be better to use richer markup like Asciidoc or
> simpy
> to directly use ConTeXt?

I use extended Markdown even for typesetting a ConTeXt introduction in
Spanish (http://www.aprender-context.tk/).

But there are some basic features that I miss from extended Markdown:

- A lightweight syntax for language (such as [Deutsch]{:de}).
- The ability to place the table of contents.
- The ability to place the footnotes/endnotes.

There may be others, but these are the three ones that first came to my
mind    .

> So far, one thing is clear: ConTeXt is the way to go instead of LaTeX and
> other
> options, but now have to resolve whether to use pandoc's markdown, AsciiDoc or
> just ConTeXt...

There are other options, but LaTeX is a real problem for the development
of pandoc, because many times users expect pandoc as a layer that spares
them the actual dealing with LaTeX.

(La)TeX input sources and XML markup are diverse, this is why I think
that pandoc should generate PDF documents from XML sources (and forget
about (La)TeX support).

But this is only my personal opinion. I hope it might help.

Cheers,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk