Thanks for all the replies.

@Ulrike: You are right, this example you give works for me too. Me experiencing
it not
working must have come out of some strange constellation.

@Aditya: Yes, it does. But {} are needed:

\tikzstyle{label}=[font={\switchtobodyfont[20pt] \red}]

@Hagen: Yes, most examples do use Latex commands.

What confused me, was/is which commands are from the macro package i.e. Latex
or Context
and which are actually Tikz. Integrating font handling makes sense. That is why
the idea
of using Context font commands did not occur to me.

With this in mind, I'll go back to some slightly different syntax used in Tikz
3.1.4
manual and see what happens.

Thanks, Martin