On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 12:43:14PM +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Hi, I’d like to update my list of (usable!) PDF viewers.
> Which one do you use? (Current version?)
> What are its pros and cons?
> Is it free (open source, freeware)?
> Does it work on Win/Lin/Mac?
> Does it have a localized interface? (I don’t care, but I work with people who
> don’t understand a lot of English.)
> Can it handle comments, attachments?
> Can it handle forms with or without JavaScript?
> Does it support SyncTeX? (Who uses that anyway?)
> Does it update changed PDFs on its own (or does it even block overwriting)?
> Which other features are essential for your choice?
>
> E.g. I’m working with:
> - Preview.app (Mac)
>   Default on MacOS, fast & easy. No JS, bad forms support, updates
> "sometimes". Usable as a previewer, not as a PDF toolbox.
> - Adobe Reader DC (Mac)
>   I use it only to check forms or as reference. Unusable GUI.
> - Acrobat Pro 9 (Mac)
>   Was my workhorse, but works on MacOS Mojave only partly; slow &
> crash-prone; no updates. Can check PDF/X<4 and convert colors.
> - PDF Studio Pro (on Mac & Linux)
>   Bought to replace AcroPro9; JS support broken; slow startup; no updates.
> Can check PDF/X, A, UA and convert colors.
>   Ok with forms, but doesn’t support LiveCycle forms (deprecated, but used by
> German boards).
> - Qpdfview (Linux)
>   Fast and easy; reliably updates.
> - PDF.js (Browser or Atom)
>   Is said to do SyncTeX (never tried). Easy, but slow. Updates.
>

> Curious: Hraban

Hello Hraban,

I'm working with only 2 pdf-viewers, "okular" and "xpdf". My main-viewer is
"okular", but
at the moment it doesn't work with my context-pdfs, I don't know why, but I
don't care.
Then it's good to have "xpdf" which is simpler than "okular" but works
especially in
this case. And before sending pdf-data to a printing-house I use "qpdf" not to
view,
but to transform my pdf files as rotate them to get them binded at a book side
not
offered by printers.

All 3 programs are open source on Linux and because I'm updating regularly my
OS, those
programs are regularly updated too.
JS? Form support? PDF/X/A/UA? Convert colors? SyncTex? Handle comments? I'm not
using
any of these. To some of them I can't say anything, because I dont't even know,
what they
are good for. So, I'm sorry not to be able to say more to those possible
properties
of my used programs:

"okular":
version: 1.6.3