Hello,
** Gerben Wierda <gerben.wie...@rna.nl> [2020-04-23 23:57:26 +0200]:

[...]

>>> hermione:Export and Metapost gerben$ mtxrun --script fonts --list --all
>>> --pattern=optima
>>> identifier         familyname   fontname           filename
>>>           subfont   instances
>>>
>>> optimablack        optima       optimaextrablack
>>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   5
>>> optimabold         optima       optimabold
>>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   2
>>> optimabolditalic   optima       optimabolditalic
>>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   4
>>> optimaextrablack   optima       optimaextrablack
>>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   5
>>> optimaitalic       optima       optimaitalic
>>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   3
>>> optimanormal       optima       optimaregular
>>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   1
>>> optimaregular      optima       optimaregular
>>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   1
>>
>> Hm. Here, ConTeXt only found subfont #5 until I rebuilt the font cache, then
>> it looked like yours.
>>
>> And the minimal example (plus \starttext ... \stoptext) worked.
>>
>> (Latest ConTeXt on MacOS Mojave.)

> No such luck for me. Any help welcome. I did remove the macOS font cache
> with sudo atsutil databases -remove and I rebooted. I am running an up to
> date macOS Mojave.

I think Henning Hraban Ramm meant not OS font cache (but may be including it,
I'm not a Mac OS user) but context font cache. Run

$ mtxrun --script fonts --reload --force

and try above '--list --all ...' command again and your example:

> \starttext
> \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][Optima]
> \setupbodyfont[mainface,10pt]

> {\bf Bold} and {\it Italic} and {\rm Regular} text.
> \stoptext

Hope this will resolve you issue.

[...]

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking.
                -- Mary Poppins