Ah…thanks for the pointer to \definecoversion. Looks promising.

I had also tried:

\defineitemgroup[Steps]
\setupitemgroup[Steps][each][n,packed]

\starttext
\startSteps
\item A
\sym{k} B\incrementnumber[itemgroup:Steps]
\item C
\stopSteps
\stoptext

Which is similar to your \txt solution and increments the counter.

Thanks again for the help.

-kk