On 5/1/2020 1:45 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

On 1 May 2020, at 13:28, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

On 5/1/2020 10:21 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
code it back to a \ ? E.g. something like
    { ‘\U{XXX}', '\' },
\utfchar{100}
\Uchar 100

Yes, but the question was: how do I code this in the XML and get it through my
XML-lua-METAPOST-textext() path so that e.g. &#xB; or &#14; in the XML end up
as \ in my textext() string?

E.g. a &#xA; in XML becomes a \n when lmtx XML handling has read the XML (so gets
transformed on read). I’ve been thinking about the route &#xD; -> \r -> \ (so,
misusing \r to code a TeX-\ in the XML, but that would probably not robust.

The question is more: what is a good UTF8 character to use (the first 32 would
be good candidates if they would work and end in the strings that xml.foo() of
lmtx produces).
did you try the attached approach? (a recent lmtx)