On 5/6/2020 5:43 PM, cont...@vivaldi.net wrote:
Hello,

before I run ConTeXt, I set a (new) variable "HOME" to point to a particular directory.

ConTeXt changes its value during startup - it sets its value to %USERPROFILE% - I guess it is to unify environment somehow for all platforms ConTeXt supports; probably here:

---- data-ini.lua, ln. ~86
do

    local homedir = osgetenv(ostype == "windows" and 'USERPROFILE' or 'HOME') or ''

     if not homedir or homedir == "" then
         homedir = char(127) -- we need a value, later we wil trigger on it
     end

     homedir = file.collapsepath(homedir)

    ossetenv("HOME",       homedir) -- can be used in unix cnf files <<<<<<<<<<<<<< HERE
     ossetenv("USERPROFILE",homedir) -- can be used in windows cnf files

     environment.homedir = homedir

end
----

But anyway - would it be possible to store the original value of HOME environment variable (if set) before it gets changed during initialization - e.g. to a Lua table?

- I would need to work with the original value in run-time (Win7 / WinX; ConTeXt MkIV).
I'll add

  environment.oldhome

being the original one (but no testing done here)