Following up on the work-around, here is my improved code for xtable.

What doesn’t work is:

* alignment on the decimal separator takes place only in the first column with
decimals (i.e. B), not on the  following one; this is independent of R1 having
a decimal value in this column or not

* row spanning is now tricky since the width of the header column is taken for
the first of the three rows spanned, which becomes even more complicated with
option=stretch, I guess if I right align the second column and would phantomize
the hsize of the header, this could work with a bit of optimization.

What I like about this approach however is that one could read the two
arguments from a CSV file, which would save a lot of typing (and to manually
specify the padding).

\def\mpm#1#2{
        \doifsomethingelse{#2}{
        \startxcell[align=left] \digits{#1} \stopxcell
        \startxcell ± \stopxcell
        \startxcell \digits{#2} \stopxcell
        }{
        \startxcell[align=left] \digits{#1} \stopxcell
        \startxcell \stopxcell
        \startxcell \digits{#2} \stopxcell
        }
}

\startxtable[split=repeat, aligncharacter=yes, alignmentcharacter={.}]

        \startxtablehead
                \startxrow[topframe=on, foregroundstyle=bold]
                \startxcell A \stopxcell
                \startxcell[align=left, nx=3] Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
\stopxcell
                \startxcell C \stopxcell
                \stopxrow
        \stopxtablehead