On 7/16/2020 7:32 AM, Marcus Vinicius Mesquita wrote:
Dear list

I need to typeset a book for kids wich contains texts where each letter is assigned a fixed color, for example:

A - - > red;
B - - > blue;
Z - - > green.

What would be the best way to do this? TIA.
There's more ways to do this but here is one:

(1) make a file: colorfont.lfg:

return {
    name = "coloralphabet",
    colorschemes = {
        default = {
            [1] = { "a", "e" },
            [2] = { "i", "o", "u" },
        },
        whatever = {
            [1] = { "65:90" },
            [2] = { },
            [3] = { },
            [4] = { "97:122" },
        }
    }
}

There is some more possible but this wil do ...

(2) You define a font with these goodies attached:

\setupbodyfont[plex,10pt]

\definefontfeature
  [MyFeaturesA] [default]
  [goodies={colorfont},colorscheme=default,liga=no]

\definefontfeature
  [MyFeaturesB] [default]
  [goodies={colorfont},colorscheme=whatever,liga=no]

\definefont[MyFontA][Serif*MyFeaturesA]
\definefont[MyFontB][Serif*MyFeaturesB]

(3) and use it this way:

\starttext

\setfontcolorscheme[1] {\MyFontA \samplefile{tufte}}\par
\setfontcolorscheme[2] {\MyFontA \samplefile{tufte}}\par
\setfontcolorscheme[3] {\MyFontA \samplefile{tufte}}\par

\page

\setfontcolorscheme[1] {\MyFontB \samplefile{tufte}}\par
\setfontcolorscheme[2] {\MyFontB \samplefile{tufte}}\par
\setfontcolorscheme[3] {\MyFontB \samplefile{tufte}}\par

\stoptext

Now, this is pretty (more than a decade) old functionality from early days of mkiv/luatex when it was used for some tracing (by Idris) and it still works (surprise).

Today I would definitely use more recent trickery. If there is real demand for this I can have a look at it, after all it's "kind of fun" (as is most of font stuff).