On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 09:37:13PM -0700, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > One other question about LuaMetaTeX 2.7.1: I noticed that the
> > terminal_input callback is gone. Does this mean that the current
> > behaviour of basically freezing when previously terminal input was
> > requested is hardcoded or is some other callback invoked which can then
> > provide some tokens?
> >
> > Marcel
>
> first line on console was already gone (only the filename gets pushed into
> the input because tex forces an input

I think this is a misunderstanding. I wasn't referring to the first
line, but to lines after the main input is fully evaluated. E.g. as a
ConTeXt example

  \starttext
  \def\dosomethinguseful#1{Do something useful with #1}
  \dosomethinguseful{
    Ups, I "forgot" to close this brace
  \stoptext

This used to end up asking for terminal input. Especially since the
terminal_input callback was available, it was possible to detect such
situations and trigger an error. With the current ConTeXt code, I
couldn't find a nice solution for this and when running such documents,
the interpreter basically freezes, starts consuming memory and finally
gets killed by the out of memory handler. Experients with
token.scan_next suggest that instead of asking for input, TeX keeps
seeing a special relax-like token. I was hoping that there is some
callback which can be used to intercept this and either fail gracefully
with an error message or to provide more useful tokens.

> anyway, read/write channel zero are for the terminal

That's good to know, thank you.

Marcel