> [...]
> With the options "split=no" and "split=repeat" ConTeXt puts the table in
> a \vbox but with "split=yes" this doesn't happen.
>
> To check is this is the problem he can put the table in a float
> environment and disable the caption and counter.
>
> \startplacetable[location={force,none}]
>    \startembeddedxtable
>    \stopembeddedxtable
> \stopplacetable

Many thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.

These are my defaults for tables in the document:

  \setupxtable
    [frame=off,
     option=stretch,
     split=repeat,
     header=repeat]

The following avoids the reported break, but it doesn’t split the table:

\startxmlsetups xml:table:split
    \blank
    \startplacetable[location={force,none}]
    \startembeddedxtable[split=yes]
        \xmlflush{#1}
    \stopembeddedxtable
    \stopplacetable
    \blank
\stopxmlsetups

If I add "split" to \startplacetable, I get the same \prevdepth error in
the second run.

What am I doing wrong here? (To avoid an error, I get other errors.)

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk