Thank you, Wolfgang, for your prompt and helpful solution!

Although I didn't make it clear in the minimal working example, I am using this
for ordinary dialog.  For the record (and for anyone searching the mailing list
in the future), to get that to work right, I had to put in one more thing into
the first line of the example to get it to work:

\setupdelimitedtext[quotation][repeat=yes, middle=“, leftmargin=0pt]
\starttext
\startquotation
\input knuth
\stopquotation
\stoptext

It seems like a little bit of overkill to set up a \startquotation
\stopquotation  for each piece of dialog, but it certainly solves the problem
to do so.

Again, many thanks! I'll post your solution to a suitable place in the Wiki
when I get a chance.

Sciurus