On 11/5/2020 9:58 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

Am 05.11.2020 um 16:21 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oi...@gmx.es>:

I’m not expert on typesetting, but I read somewhere (too long ago to be
able to remember when) that printed papers should have wider outer
margins to put your fingers on it.

In classical book layout, the two inner margins (2*backspace) should equal one
outer margin.

But this makes *only* sense with thread-bound books that you can open
completely.

In glued (perfect bound) books, the inner margin should be at least the same if
not bigger than the outer margins to get a similar view.

Modern books, independent of binding techniques, usually don’t use a classical
book layout, because that uses a lot of whitespace, i.e. more pages = higher
printing and shipping costs.

It’s still true that margins should be big enough for your fingers – but
depending on size and content of the book, different uses might suggest
different space placement. E.g. I’d use a big inner margin for guides that you
usually keep in one hand, thumb in the middle. For textbooks, a big bottom
margin makes sense, because you can put it in a stand. A song book / hymnal
you’d hold in both hands, so it needs big enough outer margins.
When we started with context (long ago) it was mostly used for single sided documents with a staple in the corner and room fo rmaking notes.