From: Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>
Sent: Friday, November 6, 2020 12:10 AM
To: mailing list for ConTeXt users <ntg-context@ntg.nl>;
t...@projectivespace.com
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] math symbol for "is an element of"

On 11/6/2020 12:24 AM, t...@projectivespace.com wrote:

> In this particular case, as Wolfgang pointed out, \in actually does work to
> get the desired symbol in math mode. But it is good to know how to use text
> substitutions too.
WHen you are in doubt you can do this:

\meaning\in

it will show you that the commands is adapting itself to math mode.
There are a few such commands with 'clashing' names.

A variant on this is \NC which is the column separator but has a
different meaning depending on where it's used. That one gets set to
some meaning in environments.

Another overloaded one is \\ and it could be a space or newline or ...

Actually the last two are candidates for protectiopn against overload.

btw, users can run context with

--overloadmode=warning
--overloadmode=error

to see if their usage of commands or definitions bring conflicts.
Currently \in is not yet protected against overload but it will be.