On 12/2/2020 11:43 AM, Stephen Gaito wrote:

Again, to my knowledge, Lua v5.4 has only one implementation (though
this implementation *can* be compiled for a very wide range of CPU's).

Lua has not many demands ... it can even run on tiny cpu's. It's all rather plain C code. (And in luametatex we have no c++ ... all is just C.)

Finally, the computational complexity of my proof engine, will be
comparable to MetaFun/MetaPost... which I suspect you would not
consider implementing in pure Lua. Some things are faster in C.

Hard to say ... I think that the parser / expansion machinery in mp is the bottleneck here (no fun to do that in lua). Redoing it in Lua also is asking for compatibility issues. (btw, extensions are done in lua anyway, as is the mp backend)

So yes I do need to implement it in ANSI-C wrapped in Lua (so that it
can be used from *inside* ConTeXt).

I would have to see the 'kind of code involved' in order to comment on that.

An option is to do most in lua and maybe some helpers for crititical code in C.