On 12/4/2020 8:02 AM, Axel Kielhorn wrote:

Am 01.12.2020 um 18:23 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster
<wolfgang.schuster.li...@gmail.com>:

The following example shows the output of all commands:

\starttext
\starttabulate [|T|T|]
\NC \type{\jobname}           \NC \jobname           \NC\NR
\NC \type{\jobfilename}       \NC \jobfilename       \NC\NR
\NC \type{\jobfilesuffix}     \NC \jobfilesuffix     \NC\NR
\NC \type{\inputfilename}     \NC \inputfilename     \NC\NR
\NC \type{\inputfilebarename} \NC \inputfilebarename \NC\NR
\NC \type{\inputfilesuffix}   \NC \inputfilesuffix   \NC\NR
\NC \type{\outputfilename}    \NC \outputfilename    \NC\NR
\NC \type{\operatingsystem}   \NC \operatingsystem   \NC\NR
\stoptabulate
\stoptext

On MacOS 10.13 the result of \operatingsystem is „osx-ppc“.
That was a surprise:-)
maybe apples are no longer apples

because we cannot check for some env variable directly (at least we could not reliable when the code was written) a slower echo is used to check $HOSTTYPE and if we don't recognize something there we end up with a ppc because that was what osx started with

now, in practice this is not that important because most systems don't distinguish between 32/64 or some mix wrt paths (i might actually remove a lot of that stuff because in luamatetex we're more normalized across platforms)

the apple guesser is tricky because at least in the past there was no reliable way to figure it out, for instance uname didn't work well and we had this curious mix of 64 bit machines that osx refused to see as such (i remember that I had to root something in the old macbook to make it being seen as 64 bit instead of 32 in order to be able to update)

what does your "echo $HOSTTYPE" mention?