On 12/10/2020 8:37 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Thu, 10 Dec 2020, Hans Hagen wrote:

dotlabel uses a pen to draw the dot, and I am not sure why it uses that rather
than a path. Here is a (to me) simpler definition, where you can change the
shape:

just look in the pdf ... in your case the dot is a n point path while otherwise
it uses the default postscript pen (which is a dot)

Ah, that makes sense.

it surprised me that a math guru like you doesn't do this:

vardef dotlabel@#(expr s,z) text t_ =
%     draw textext("$\bullet$") scaled (1/2) shifted z ;
%     draw textext("$\blacktriangle$") scaled (1/4) shifted z ;
     draw textext("$\blacksquare$") scaled (1/4) shifted z ;
     label@#(s,z) t_ ;
enddef ;
\stopMPdefinitions

Ha! I know that you said this as a joke, but as someone who did try to use the old
font-based picture environment in LaTeX back in the day, I would never try to use fonts
for "drawing". Especially, math fonts, where every designer has a different
idea of what the shape should look like.
ah pictex memories ... drawing lines with cmr5 periods ...

but actually, we can define a stable font with symbols in metafun and use that (quite efficient too) and then one can even cut'n'paste those tiny symbols (don't worry ... not much of a challenge so low on my list)