On 1/3/2021 6:26 PM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
Probably the false equivalence TeX = LaTeX which is common to see in many forums and sites on the web: TeX is said not to be able to do X just because LaTeX can't. It's upsetting. groff looks interesting, tho.
FWIW: I never looked into all these system (althouygh i remember reading about some postscript related thing decades ago). Just keep in mind that 'the problem doesn't change' no matter what tools are there .. it's no big deal to deal with the 80% but the left over bits often are the complication. All this typeseting is very much about perception and often playing around and then the question is: what system suits that best.

So there's the issue of interfacing ... I always found the curious tex mix interesting (read: if I had to do typesetting and defining styles in lua or c of java or html.css ... any such programming language ... i'd looked for another hobby long ago). Of course is some project comes around that need those approaches and that can pay the bills, I'd pay attention to it but till then ... so my main objective is to modernize this 'good old workhorse tex' because it kind of had/has set the standard. And it's kind of fun.

(It's also why discussions about context versus latex or plain are wasted on me: I simply never run into the other systems and/or demands related to them, so instead of keeping track I spent non-tex time on reading and listening music instead -)