> On 5 Jan 2021, at 20:31, Garulfo <garu...@azules.eu> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I saw that Mojca created a directory
> https://github.com/contextgarden/not-so-short-introduction-to-context
>
> Joaquín, if you agree, and if
> - you provide me with the spanish + english source codes
> - Mojca provide you and me with github write access (garulfogb account)
>
> i could :
> 1/ push the current code
> 2/ start to write a github wiki page (+ link on contextgarden) to describe :
> - for you : how to update from your own computer (the official source)
> - for any user : how to use git to get the source + link to this list for
> discussion.
>
> Does anybody has a guide about "how to set up a documentation translation
> project with git ?".
> One requirement will probably to define how propositions are officially
> validated. Does it requires Joaquín to learn how to use git ? Can we just
> work by sending files (or patches) to Joaquín who will update with a single
> git command ?

I think we need to be really clear about what we want to achieve here.

1) Is it just making the source plus the PDF available for download? If so then
there are plenty of simpler ways to do that than using Git.

2) If it is to gather feedback on things like typos then we don't need Git. For
example I spotted a missing ']' in the English translation so all I need is a
way to submit a 'bug report' not access to the source.

3) So what is left? To provide a way for translators to be notified of changes
to the original? To provide a collaboration mechanism for significant changes
to the document?

I don't see that Git adds much in the way of value unless Joaquín and the
translators are already very familiar with it -- because the learning curve is
very steep and recovering from mistakes (made to the repository itself rather
than to the document content) can sometimes be extremely difficult.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK