Oh, I would do it another way, as processors aren't very happy with
commands which split "strings". The drawback of my quick and dirty method
is the need for additional commands, but I hope this will be useful.

\defineregister[myindex]

%Sorry for the funny names

\def\myindexspaced#1{%

\splitstring{#1}\at{ }\to\myindexoneone\and\myindexonetwo%

\myindex[\myindexonetwo,\myindexoneone]{\myindexonetwo,\space\emph{\myindexoneone}}%

}

\def\myindexcomma#1{%

\splitstring{#1}\at,\to\myindextwoone\and\myindextwotwo%

\myindex[#1]{\myindextwoone,\emph{\myindextwotwo}}%

}

\starttext

In \myindexspaced{The Observer}{\em The Observer} of 31 July 2018...

In \myindexcomma{Onion, The}{\em The Onion} of 31 July 2018...

\placemyindex%

\stoptext

Maybe someone else in the list has a cleaner alternative?

Cordially,

Jairo