In the TeX to Lua interface with

\def\Macro#1{\directlua{luafunction("#1")}}

the transfer from TeX to Lua is by string. However what to do at the Lua end
when calling \Macro{}?
As I understand it, then on the Lua side an empty argument and an empty string
are indistinguishable. This is not always wanted, for example when one needs to
place either a nil or an empty string into a Lua table. I am running in trouble
when to t.key set to \Macro{} should become nil or when it should become "".
Is there some common understanding about how to handle this situation?

dr. Hans van der Meer