It may also be relevant to mention a related feature of SBL style:
(3) The "et al." string is used for more than three authors for in-text
citations, but all authors are listed in full in the list of publications.

In publ-imp-chicago.mkvi (probably the most similar style to SBL), the
etallimit and etaldisplay parameters are set to the default values:

\definebtx
  [chicago:\s!list]
  [chicago]
 %[\c!otherstext={\btxcomma\btxnobreakspace\textellipsis\space},
 % \c!etallimit=7,
 % \c!etaldisplay=6,
 % \c!etaloption=last,
  [\c!authorconversion=inverted]

But the definition for in-text citations sets both of these parameters to 1:

\definebtx
  [chicago:\s!cite]
  [chicago]
  [\c!alternative=authoryear,
   \c!otherstext={\btxcomma\btxlabeltext{others}},
   \c!etallimit=1,
   \c!etaldisplay=1,
   \c!authorconversion=\v!name,
   \c!sorttype=normal, % \v!normal ?
   \c!style=,
   \c!compress=\v!yes] % note that cite sorts only work with compress=yes.

Now, if I cite a source in-text using the "author" alternative, this rule
is applied, but if I cite a source in-text using the "entry" alternative,
the printed citation follows the rules for [chicago:\s!list], even though
the citation style for the "entry" alternative is explicitly defined to
inherit from [chicago:\s!cite]:

\definebtx
  [chicago:\s!cite:entry]
  [chicago:\s!cite]
  [\c!left=,
   \c!right=,
   \c!inbetween={\btxspace},
   \c!separator:2={\btxsemicolon},
   \c!separator:3=\btxparameter{\c!separator:2},
   \c!separator:4=\btxparameter{\c!separator:2}]

Is the "entry" alternative just hardcoded to match the list citation, or am
I missing something?

Joey