How odd; Then it must be related to my viewer here ...

I was just surprised to literally see two different outcomes with the
\startTEXpage and without. Maybe it has to do with some sort of "nesting" in
the PDF that is not handled correctly at the PDF viewer's end. I'll test again
on a different machine (and with the printing company) when I'm back to work.

Thanks for having looked into it!