On 9/15/2021 8:40 AM, juh via ntg-context wrote:
Dear all,

these are quite general questions but here they come.

I defined modular styles for an organisation so that we can use
different layouts with the same look and feel but still have many
options to change things in a special document. I have styles for
colors, fonts which are used everywhere but also styles for heads that
are only used in legal context and other heads-styles used in other
contexts.  This works brilliant. I can even overwrite styles for one
document only.  I'd like to name this a cascading approach.

While doing this I learned a lot and changed the way the style files are
organised from time to time.

Currently I start with colors and fonts. Then comes the page dimension
definitions, makeups, headers and footers, headlines, the toc styles,
lists and tables.

the order sounds ok to me

Does anyone has a similar approach with a strong opinion how to organise
the cascade?

if you use xml, that one comes last

While working on this I often found that I defined something twice,
because I forgot to delete a setup-command in a newly structured file.

Is there a way to test this? Can I grep for a warning in the log files
to find these duplicates?
You can try this at the top:

%enabledirectives[overloadmode=warning]
\enabledirectives[overloadmode=error]

it's still sort of 'work in progress' (esp instances), so

\defineitemgroup[xxx]
\definehead[xxx]

will trigger an error (more commands will get the option to control what gets defined automatically)

you can work around warnings/errors with

\pushoverloadmode
  new definition
\popoverloadmode

bt keep in mind that some older settings can be persistent