On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:27:48 +0100
Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> there has been some discussion about this unwanted 'extra page' and
> the automatism behind it; if you want an even number, you can force
> it:
>
> \setuppagenumbering[option=doublesided]

I missed that discussion. I still have the problem. It happens when I
use \startbodymatter...\stopbodymatter:

\setuppagenumbering
    [option=doublesided,
     alternative=doublesided]
\starttext
\startbodymatter
\dorecurse{5}{\input tufte\par \input knuth\par}
\stopbodymatter
\stoptext

In my experiments I have not yet been able to force an even number of
pages.

There is an easy work-around for me: use --pdfselect or \filterpages to
trim off the last page.

Note: the reason I am so fussy about this is that I am dealing with a
printer service bureau which needs the document "just so."

> should this be an option to \setuppagenumbering?

I don't know. It is something I need in all my big projects. Would
\setuplayout be more logical? I have no strong preference as long as I
have a way. Fixing up the doc with --pdfselect is good enough for now.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                            Curiosities of the Sky
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Garrett Serviss