I firmly disagree. Fd files are hard to read and even harder to create,
the filenames therein are close to unreadable, texfont.pl is easier to
use than fontinst, I consider packager-based silent font substitutions
a major design mistake, Context currently cannot find LaTeX files anyway
(in most distribs) and the two systems are not orthogonal to the same
degree.

That said, it is not a lot of work to create a module that reads fd files
(based on the LaTeX .fd reader, which is quite isolated from the rest of
LaTeX). I just don't agree that it is a good idea to do so.