At 02:15 PM 1/8/2003 +0100, you wrote:

%% SWEDISH
%
%  These three letters (in this order) are the
%  last in the swedish alphabet (and hence should
%  come after z in the latin alphabet).
%  I'm not sure about the syntax for
%  \definesortkey so I left some of it open ...
%
% \startlanguagespecifics[\s!sv]
%
%   \definesortkey {\aring}{z}{b}{\aring}
%   \definesortkey {\Aring}{z}{b}{\Aring}
%   \definesortkey {\aumlaut}{z}{c}{\aumlaut}
%   \definesortkey {\Aumlaut}{z}{c}{\Aumlaut}
%   \definesortkey {\oumlaut}{z}{d}{\oumlaut}
%   \definesortkey {\Oumlaut}{z}{d}{\Oumlaut}
%
% \stoplanguagespecifics
the problem with sorting is that there are a lot of things to handle :

\ecircumflex
\^{e}
\^ e
\char246
byte

I just found out (well, it took me a while) that there's a bug in texutil with regards to creating a separate entry in the index.

\definesortkey {\aring}{z}{b}{\aring}
\definesortkey {\Aring}{z}{b}{\aring}

this will create (patched texutil) an entry \aring, while

\definesortkey {\aring}{z}{b}{}
\definesortkey {\Aring}{z}{b}{}

this only determines the sort order.

Currently the mechanisms in texutil are obscured by some xml cleanup, tcx remapping (polish needs this), general cleanup, etc. Also, since there is an encoding issue involved, redundant info is written to the tuo file.

So, in order to sort out this mess, some coordinated effort is needed to clean it up.

(1) if possible only vectors with named glyphs (this prevents mixed encoding problems)
(2) example files
(3) a simplified texutil (currently ignores the named glyphs)
(4) other mappings, say \^{a} -> \acircumflex can be automized or shared

(i'll probably make a new mechanism and remove the old one later)

a more manual selection (by default related to a language) for choosing the sort vector (one per document), wih vectors no longer going in language specifics (is also faster)

Hans

Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | [EMAIL PROTECTED]