Idris S Hamid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hello Idris,

> I don't get this. My background image comes out at the center of the
> page;
> why doesn't the color follow suit?

\setupbackgrounds[page][ignored][background={color,backgr},backgroundcolor=blue]
should give you a blue page with the backgr overlay.

The following code should give you a white page with some text and a
left green margin with "Picture" text.

\setupcolors[state=start]
\defineoverlay[backgr][Picture]
\setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][background={color,backgr},
                                  backgroundcolor=green]

\starttext
Hello, Idris.
\stoptext

> still gives me no overlayed color.
you have set \setupcolors[state=start] ?

> I don't know metapost (yet, its on my to-learn list); is there something
> I can do to get this solved in the meantime?

Yes: write exactly where you want which color (margin, edge,
top.... ) and we provide you a simple metapost code :)

Patrick