> the whole format looks very strange to me, what about
>
> texnansi-raw-hum521b Humanist521BT-Bold "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
> <texnansi.enc <hum521b.pfb
>

> Jens

It's a line from file texnansi-bitstrea-humanist.map generated by texfont (texfont
--help;
see also mtexfont.pdf, mfonts.pdf and pdftex-a.pdf)
This line say, among others, that only glyphs from font hum521b.pfb (a
Type1 font) used by  A.pdf document must be include into A.pdf (partial
inclusion).
Until now, I haven't found any problem with xpdf and acroread, but
postpocressing with gs sometimes fails, because some glyphs  seems to
call an instructions (NP) which definitions is not included.
Hence with
texnansi-raw-hum521b Humanist521BT-Bold "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <<hum521b.pfb
we include all glyphs (complete inclusion), even unsed ones, and NP now
is not more undefined (for gs)

By the way,if A.pdf has a partial inclusion and  we print on file A.ps
with acroread and then reconvert to A1.pdf with gs, A1.pdf semm to be ok
(but you loose interactivity)

I find at
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/pdftex/2002-October/003067.html
a mail about the same problems with pdflatex and I find the following
<<
"The PDF file is incorrect. It includes a subsed of /CharterBT-
Roman font that uses NP procedure but doesn't define it in
the font header."

and in
http://www.ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-devel/2002-October/002043.html
I find the following
<<
#616539 - USER - gs fails for pdflatex generated document
assigned: alexcher
If a PDF document generated by pdflatex contains some special
combinations of
type1 fonts, gs fails with "Error: /undefined in NP" while acroread and
xpdf have no problems to display the document. Alex determined that the
PDF file is invalid, and that it includes a subsed of /CharterBT-Roman
font that uses NP procedure but doesn't define it in the font header.
Should we close the bug?

I'm sure that it's not a complete explanations, but I have to study the
Adobe manual on Type1 fonts and encodings , and time is not on my
side....

luigi