Martin,

> On 26 Mar 2018, at 17:11, Martin Drašar <dra...@ics.muni.cz> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> moving on with my scenario, I have decided to just prepare a bunch of
> network interfaces before starting ntop and do not use virtual
> interfaces at all.
>
> This worked well, but after some time I hit this error:
>
> Too many interfaces (54): discarded XXXXXX
> Hint: reset redis (redis-cli flushall) and then start ntopng again
>
> I know that there is a preset limit in the source for 48 interfaces and
> I could change it, but the thing is, I am not using that many
> interfaces. I just tested some name changes and ntop seems to be keeping
> the links between old names and ids and any new interface I add, its id
> gets incremented.

Yes, this is normal and is the expected behavior. ntopng must uniquely identify
and remember interfaces it has seen, even across restarts. Silently re-using
ids would cause data from different interfaces to be mixed unpredictably.

> Even though I flushed the redis database and even
> deleted the contents of /var/tmp/ntopng.
>
> How should I convince ntop to start with clean slate?

to start clean:
- stop ntopng
- redis cli flushall
- rm -rf /var/tmp/ntopng