On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Micheal Espinola Jr
<michealespin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/07/google-chrome-password-security-flaw
>
> No obfuscation to the casual snooper, no master password, no nothing.  This
> is the same thing that Firefox caught flack for 3 years ago.

  If your browser lets you "save" a password for replay, then it *has*
to store the password in a fashion that can be reversed.  There's no
way around this.  Obfuscating the stored passwords does precisely
nothing, because the browser *has* to be able to reverse it.  The bad
guys will happily write their own UI if you don't provide one.  (This
has happened to more than one iteration of the password bank that
comes with Windows.)

  You can't make this difficult for the bad guys to do without also
making it difficult for the browser to do.  You want it to take 20
minutes for the bad guys to decipher the password bank?  Then it will
take 20 minutes for the browser to do so, too.

  Firefox still has a "Show passwords" button, FYI.

  The lack of the ability to cipher the database using a user-provided
password as a key *is* a problem, and something Chrome deserves heat
for.  But once the user has provided it for the current session, then
you've still got the exact same behavior a lot of people are
complaining about, and prolly would still be complaining about,
because they don't get it.

  This reminds me of when Steve Gibson started ranting about raw
sockets.  Paying attention to this kind of thing encourages the
introduction of behaviors that prevent professionals from getting work
done, provides people who don't understand a false sense of security,
and slows the bad guys down not one iota.

-- Ben