From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Jon Harris
Sent: 03 September 2014 23:45
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: RE: [NTSysADM] Rebuilding/restoring a SBS 2011 server check.

Good job and thanks for the follow up!

Jon

________________________________
From: art.dekn...@cox.net<mailto:art.dekn...@cox.net>
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com<mailto:ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 11:51:18 -0700
For those interested here's a recap of the results.

Started at the colo. Remembered to bring a jacket with. Tried to do another
restore from backup and system blue screened with 21a, fatal error. Tried a
couple of fixes with negative results. Interesting thing here concerning Dell
AppAssure backup/restore for disaster recovery. Dell makes mention one of the
features of the product is you can restore to a VM. What I was told by the
local guy is that this VM must be created before you do the backup/restore.
This VM was never created. Seems whomever helped him set it up original left
this part out. Lesson learned. I misunderstood earlier when I said he had an
ISO for backup. He said the backup could be mounted like an ISO file.

Went to the fresh install option. While installing SBS 2011 made sure all the
clients important local files were backed up (Outlook, favorites, documents,
etc.). Found out they had Folder Redirection turned on but it wasn't working
properly for everyone. During the client backups discovered 5 machines where
there was no local .ost file to export. Will address later.

After SBS was installed went through the To-do list and created all the users,
groups, shares and started the updates downloading. Did a quick test of the IT
guys computer with a disjoin/rejoin, restore and everything was fine. Quit for
the day.

Sunday started at one of the sites and did the disjoin/rejoin, restore on all
the computers there. Surprising had no issues with any of the computers. This
part went smooth. Went to the second site and pretty much the same results.
There were a couple computers where the local admin password didn't work.
Changed it and all finished well.

Went back to the office to start the data restore. This is where it got
interesting. From the office we RDP into the backup server and the SBS server.
Both servers located at the colo connected to a Cisco gig switch and started
copying files. We noticed that the copying files window showed files being
copied and then seem to hang on a file. Let it go for about a half hour with no
change to the window. Checked destination folder size didn't change. Checked
both servers performance and both showed no activity other than just idling.
Cancelled the copy and then waited again for a while. Finally did an End Task.
Rebooted the servers just in case and then checked the destination folder
again. Figured during the backup maybe some corrupt files or something were
causing issues.

Started copying again but a small folder and this went through fine. Did
another folder and it hung at a different location. Checked from a couple of
clients and could get to some folders but not others. Checked the folder
permissions at the destination folder and they looked correct. Propagated the
permissions down the folder to include everything and tried again. Same result.
Decided to walk up the tree and check permissions. Found the permissions were
messed up. Some folders had no owner, missing groups, some inherited, some not.
How they got that way is a question that will never be answered. After
correcting that started the copying again and let in run overnight. After that
we called it a day.

Monday went back to finish up. Finished copying data to the SBS server and
client locations. Gave the tech a crash course on using Group Policy on
automating some of his tasks. Created drive mappings and discussed printers.
Tested and verified everything again and called it finished. In the end he was
happy because he was able to correct some things he didn't like with the old
setup, clean up folders and accounts and lower his backup size.

He is going to look at getting the VM created so that the disaster recovery
part is tested. For some strange reason he doesn't want to do this again.

Art DeKneef
Avanti Computers
Mesa, AZ
480-649-4430 Office