Just wanted to chime in regarding this as I recently did a lot of research to
get straight answers and make sure we are 100% covered licence-wise.
This will primarily be important for small to medium sized businesses that use
automated deployment technologies looking to take advantage of the free upgrade
to Windows 10.

If you're manually updating then it's fine to just clean install with >= 1511
media and use a Windows 7/8.1 key, you may have to select to skip entering the
key during OOBE and enter it later in the desktop.

If you're looking at deploying and reimaging, however, you will need to go
through the Media Creation Tool or WU update to Windows 10 to licence your
Windows 7/8.1 machines with valid Windows 10 licences before being able to
deploy Windows 10 to those machines legally. The exception to this is if you
have a qualifying VL agreement (this does NOT include the common Open or Open
Value agreements), in this case you can deploy Windows 10 straight onto the
machines using VL media and keys, however, you will need to fill out and sign
the MS document: Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Form linked here:
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1238259-updates-to-deploying-the-windows-10-free-upgrade
 .
This is because reimaging rights work as long as the target machine is licenced
for the OS version to be deployed and technically a Windows 7/8.1 licence is
not equivalent to a Windows 10 licence.

Source:
https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/124056-reimaging-rights-for-windows-10-licensing-how-to

Regards,