I had a not too dissimillar problem with printing in a thin client environment.
I found a Tecnet artical (Q252388) which described how to set up a default
printer for new users and modified its application. In order to set up
different printers for different groups of people I followed the artical (much
of which can be automated by creating a user and setting up just the printers
needed) to get the Key values then exported them into a .reg file. Then a
simple batch file in an appropriate place (the startup folder for users or
attached to the start of the application shortcut (for application specific
printers!!)) does a simple 'regedit -i -s regfile.reg' to put everything in
place.

Nic Wright
NT Systems Analyst
Stoke on Rent City Council