Sysprep has nothing to do with RIS really.

Sysprep prepares the system (hence the name) to be cloned by something
like Ghost.  After you sysprep a machine, you can ghost it and the next
time that machine reboots (which would be your cloned machines) it will
run through a kind of mini setup routine.  Generating SIDs, etc.  That
way its almost like installing it from scratch except that everything is
already done.

You don't need AD for sysprep.

RIS replaces the need for sysprep, but only because you can do entire
installations from scratch with it and so you wouldn't have the need for
it.

The different motherboard thing could be an issue.  Nothing says you
can't set up a little test though.