Greetings to all:

I need some help in interpreting the results of two different MSFT security tools:
    1.  MPSA - Microsoft Personal Security Advisor at
           http://www.microsoft.com/technet/mpsa/start.asp
    2.  HFNetChk - Microsoft Network Security Hotfix Checker at
           http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/2/15.asp

I am getting very different results on a NT4 SP6a PDC Server.

Before I give you the results, let me own up to a couple of things:
    1.  I know I've been lax in keeping up with security hotfixes -- but I'm trying to get up to date now.
    2.  I know the MPSA states that it should NOT be used on a server, but I thought it would be interesting to see the results since the output is more readable.

The HFNetChk report shows that there are 9 hotfixes possibly not applied.
The MPSA report shows that there are 25 hotfixes not applied.

How can there be such a large difference?  Is the MPSA just a bogus report since "it should not be used on a server"?
Should I just use the HTNetChk and not worry about the MPSA results?

Environment:
  • NT4 SP6a Server, PDC
  • IIS4
  • Exchange Server 5.5 SP4
  • HP NetServer LC2
  • 192MB RAM
  • 27GB total HD space, 5GB free
  • Single server used for small office, 10 users

Here are the reports:

===========
HFNetChk
===========
WINDOWS NT4 SP6a

WARNING         MS99-036 Q155197
WARNING         MS99-041 Q242294
Patch NOT Found MS00-081 Q277014
WARNING         MS01-022 Q296441
WARNING         MS01-041 Q299444

Internet Information Server 4.0

WARNING  MS99-025 Q184375
WARNING  MS00-025 Q259799
WARNING  MS00-028 Q260267
WARNING  MS01-044 Q301625

==========
MPSA
==========
MS00-003 Spoofed LPC Port Request Vulnerability
MS00-004 RDISK Registry Enumeration File Vulnerability
MS00-005 Malformed RTF Control Word Vulnerability
MS00-007 Recycle Bin Creation Vulnerability
MS00-021 Malformed TCP/IP Print Request Vulnerability
MS00-027 Malformed Environment Variable Vulnerability
MS00-029 IP Fragment Reassembly Vulnerability
MS00-036 ResetBrowser Frame and Host Announcement Frame Vulnerabilities
MS00-040 Remote Registry Access Authentication Vulnerability
MS00-047 NetBIOS Name Server Protocol Spoofing Vulnerability
MS00-052 Relative Shell Path Vulnerability
MS00-063 Invalid URL Vulnerability
MS00-070 Multiple LPC and LPC Ports Vulnerabilities
MS00-081 New Variant of VM File Reading Vulnerability
MS00-091 Incomplete TCP/IP Packet Vulnerability
MS00-095 Registry Permissions Vulnerability
MS01-003 Weak Permissions on Winsock Mutex Can Allow Service Failure
MS01-008 Malformed NTLMSSP Request Can Enable Code to Run with System Privileges
MS01-009 Malformed PPTP Packet Stream Can Cause Kernel Exhaustion
MS01-041 Malformed RPC Request Can Cause Service Failure
MS99-046 Improve TCP Initial Sequence Number Randomness
MS99-047 Malformed Spooler Request Vulnerability
MS99-055 Malformed Resource Enumeration Argument Vulnerability
MS99-056 Syskey Keystream Reuse Vulnerability
MS99-057 Malformed Security Identifier Request Vulnerability

TIA.

Best Regards,
JMU

Jim Underwood