>I've allowed traffic from the web servers to the domain controllers for
authentication purposes.

VERY dangerous. I suggest that you move authentication to a database if
possible. If you can't, then you may want to add a new domain in the DMZ
that will not have a trust to the domain in the inside network.

If you can't get hardare for a new domain, then I suggest that you look at
your PIX config. Make sure your conduits are setup correctly. Get a copy of
WS_Ping ProPack from www.ipswitch.com (or a similer tool) to see if your
webservers can connect to the ports on the DC's. See if you can even ping
the DC's.

hth,

~Seth