From: Smiles, Matthew [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 3:36 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: WINS server querying other WINS server

Ernest,
Thanks for the response.  The reason why WINS is still required is due to a
legacy application that has to be supported and that application has
dependencies which require it to be in the DMZ.  It's a long story, but of
course, ideal case WINS would not exist in the DMZ.  LMHOSTS while certainly
possible, isn't production feasible as the machines that need to be resolved
are under other administrative control so their IP's could be changed
without notice.  The other option is to use a WINS proxy agent, but then the
DMZ servers wouldn't be in WINS and would require static entries.  At least
that would be manageable as it would be our machines that could change IP's
and we would know when we did that.
Thanks for the input,
matt