Would there be any advantage to running multiple instances?   Or is there
some 3rd party software that requires it?    I cant think of a good reason
right off.    Why not just put up another server if you need more than one
sql?

                    Greg Tupper

                    <gtupper@Acit        To:     "NT System Admin Issues"

                    el.com>              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                         cc:

                    08/31/2001           Subject:     RE: SMS 2.0 & SQL 2K

                    11:09 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "NT System

                    Admin Issues"

Paul,

With sql2k you can run multiple instances on the same box.  This means that
you can have more then one sql server running on the same box.  All you
really need is to name each installation a different name.  With SMS you
are
required to use the default installation or the first installation as the
server that holds the sms databases. Usually the default installation is
the
server name and that is probably why it requires this.  Hope this helps.

greg