The log in particular I would start looking at is in the
<OracleHome>\RBDMS73\trace\"<instance name>alrt.log"  This has a lot of detail as to
when processes
start and stop, errors in log files, corrupt data files, etc.  The Event
log also show when the service stops, etc.  This should be a no-brainer
for your DBA.  That's why they make the big bucks... or so they keep
telling us.  ;)

Russ Braaten, MCSE MCP+I