Using double quotes is best because the command won't break if the
environment variable contains a space....

- ASB

-----Original Message-----
From: Correa, Andre [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 1:02 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Test Whether Variable Exists

I believe that IF DEFINED only works on NT boxes, not 95/98.  If it is an
all NT environment, then it is OK.  Otherwise, use syntax as follows:

If not {%somevar%}=={} echo Variable exists

The { sign can be replaced with quotes, but to each their own.  The double =
is very important, otherwise you will tear out every last strand of hair on
your head ....

HTH

Andre Correa
Senior Manager/Information Technology