Since I posted the first message, I discovered that the drivers are listed
in a file called drvindex.inf which is in the inf folder.   From looking at
this file, it seems that Windows looks at this inf file first to see if the
named driver is available, and which cab files to look in.   So on my
system which had sp1 applied and then later had sp2 applied, I have both
Sp1.cab and sp2.cab.     The drvindex.inf specifies sp2.cab and driver.cab.
So I think I could delete sp1.cab.    I havent found any reference to
checksums anywhere so on Monday I'm going to try placing my ibm drivers in
driver.cab and adding the names to drvindex.inf.   That way if newer
versions of those files show up in sp3.cab, Windows will get those newer
ones instead of the ones that are in driver.cab.     I'll post the results
to the list on Monday, assuming I dont have a crisis to deal with.

Thanks - DR