Hello all,

first and foremost, dont forget about the prayer tonight at 7:00 nationwide...

I have a question about windows 2000 browser service.  here is a quick configuration of our network and then it will make my question alot easier to answer.

we have a Cisco 4006 core switch with a routing blade for vlan routing.  we have vlans named vlan 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 with ip addresses in each accordingly (172.16.20.x, 172.16.30.x, etc.)  vlan 20 can see all other vlans.  all our switches and administrator machines are in that vlan.  our windows 2000 servers are in vlan 30.  all vlans have access to 30 (servers) but dont have access to each other.  for instance, vlan 40 has access to vlan 40 and 30 but nothing else, etc.

I have the master browser for the domain in vlan 30 on one of our servers and the backup browser in 30 also.  i know the browser service builds its machine lists by broadcasts.  is there any possible way for the browser service to add machines to its browse list from all the other vlans?  i know that is one of the main purposes of vlans to control and separate broadcasts on a network.  do i need a browser on each vlan and then somehow communicating with the master browser in vlan 30?  this is important to get a list of all the machines in our domain for some management programs to work right, antivirus, etc.

any help is appreciated before i call microsoft.  i only need to see the full browser lists in vlans 20 and 30.  the administrators vlans and server vlan.

thanks very much for any input and God bless america!

Bob C.