From: Russ Braaten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 10:05 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: net time

Actually, while working on this very topic today, I found out some
interesting issues.  My production domain is still NT4.  I have my PDC and
BDCs running timeserve and retrieving their time from a corporate
timeserver across our WAN (they have the actual internet connection).  and
my users, win95, 98, and a few win2k, run a login script that does a net
time \\xxx.xx.xxx.xxx /set using the ip address of our PDC.  While testing
a WIN2k server and workstation on a test domain, I noticed that the
workstation was syncing from the DC in my test domain, but the time was
way off from my production machine, so I started looking for how to sync
the time from the corporate time server across the WAN.  This turned out
to be a fairly simple process, once I found the instructions.  Run from a
command line "c:\net time /setsntp:xxx.xx.xxx.xxxx" then cycle your
windows time service.  It actually writes to the registry where to look
for time syncing. This worked from both the server and pro box.  I pointed
them both to the corp box, but could have left the pro box syncing to the
DC and the DC syncing to the corp box, to minimize WAN traffic, which is
probably best practice, once rolled out.

Just thought someone out there might want to know,

Russ Braaten, MCSE, MCP+I

> Actually, that is what I have always done.  One of my associates pointed
out
> the effect of just using "net time /set" and I couldn't answer why we got
> the different results.  Just goes to show that browsing and NetBIOS is far
> from gone in W2K.
>

> ***************************
> Pete Carstensen, MCSE
> Senior LAN Engineer
> CSK Auto, Inc.
> 645 E. Missouri Ave.
> Phoenix,  AZ  85012
> (602) 631-7176
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous.
>                               -- Willie Wonka

waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying
of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended
recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please
advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.