Copying Profile does nothing for local settings - which includes email etc. (Outlook/Express): Go into regedit; locate your profiles SID as a subkey of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. Copy the GUID in the Guid string value into a new String Value called, say, OldGuid. Identify the GUID of the profile you had and want to continue using -  you can use the SID to GUID map in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileGuid. Replace the string Value of the GUID with the guid containing your old profile in your new profile. Then logoff and logon. This will 'redirect' your new profile (in its entirety) to your old profile.
Chris Shattock
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 10:30 AM
Subject: W2K: Probably missing the obvious...

Scenario:

OS = 2000

Laptop = 2K Pro

Server = 2K Adv Srvr

Laptop:

I have been using an ID (admin level [local]) for years (profile is just how I want it).  Created a network at home.  Can see the network, but when I create a network ID I lose my desktop (profile) settings.  I especially don’t want to re-configure Outlook 2K for this profile.  My already existing mail is not accessible.  It’s a pain rebooting to access my current email setup.  Question, do I copy the profile to gain old settings (desktop) on network ID?  If so, is that done using the copy to feature in the profile section?  Can I add this local account (ID) to the server (AD)?

I am doing something wrong and I can’t put my finger on it.  I just know it…

Server:

See above…  (got carried away)

Note: For those of you that have never used W2K Advanced Server, try it.  You’ll love it!!

As always, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  So, thanks in advance.

Jesse E. Gardner, MCP

P.O. Box 11431

Columbia, SC 29211

(803)216-0119