From: Bunting, Jeff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 12:43 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Looking for a discussion on IM

Is this what you were talking about?
-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Lundy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 9:35 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues

You know, I violated a cardinal rule of mine - don't post something if you can't back it up.  I did have a reference and now can't find it.  I did find a similar exploit in the Yahoo messenger.  I'm still pretty confident I did read about either a real attack via the icon, or at least a proof of concept, and I will keep looking for it.  Anyway, the below is an exploit against an IM, so it shows it is vulnerable.

Yahoo Pager/Messanger Buffer Overflow
There is a buffer overflow problem with Yahoo Messenger that leaves the user vulnerable to remote attack. The problem arises due to a lack of appropriate bounds checking on the length of a URL that is received from another user inside a message. Unfortunately, due to this oversight, it is possible for unprivileged and possibly hostile remote users to execute arbitrary commands by overwriting the EIP (return address) and filling the URL with malevolent code. The hostile code could then be actioned when the unsuspecting target host clicks on the URL.