I haven't found one product that totally embodies the collaborative
functionality and unbridled potential of Exchange Server and its
complimentary server products (Sharepoint Portal Server, Mobile Information
Server, Conference Server).

Let's face it, Exchange is not that expensive for offices utilising 1000
mailboxes.  Exchange2000 with collaborative web applications, Outlook Web
Access components, public folder storage etc etc is a good deal if deployed
well beyond just your basic email from point A to point B.

I have been working on a project for management here called the
Microsoft-less office.  It has been put on the backburner and will not be
completed in next couple of weeks still.  This involved research and in some
cases obtaining rough price quotes for an office deployment including
messaging applications.

If you require staying on Windows as the server, there are still many email
packages available.  A comprehensive list of mail servers that run on
Windows ironically is available at Microsoft's site:
http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/partners/findoffering/commserv/Mail.asp

I think you'll end up searching elsewhere for your calendaring product.
Goldmine, Act!, or a customised application even using Access and web
components come to mind, though they are really contact and schedule
managers:
http://www.frontrange.com/products.asp
http://www.act.com/home/default.php3

These solutions are not free and require admin and user training.

That's all I have time for at the moment.  Wife's birthday.  Going to Osaka
for sushi.

William Lefkovics, MCSE, A+