From: Miley, Dan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 4:44 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: W2K pro in a work group

We have 800 remote machines in a workgroup (not my design).

admin is a pain, you have to use 3rd party tools to manage (We're using SQL
anywhere, remoteware, and scripts), monitoring and helpdesk is a pain.  You
can't do domain profiles, users, domain anything.  pushing service packs is
a pain.  logging into someone elses machine is a pain, changing passwords is
a pain, setting up security policys is difficult.  if you go with a
workgroup solution, the choice is no security, or job security for the admin
IMO.

every admin task is local to every machine.

<<Now W2K pro has far better security and each user has or can have their
own
profiles, permissions etc.>>

The key is "their own"  not shared with anyone on your net.

<<If, ... I log
on as a user, provided the folders on a remote computer, also part of the
same workgroup, are share to the Everyone group, would this new user be able
to access those resources without any further administration?>>

yes, if you put every user login account on every machine, or enable guest
(no security).  Workgroup computing might be do-able for 10 machines or so (
a workgroup), but any more, and it's a challenge.

Dan